Monday, September 2, 2013

A quick note about August

My first kiss was on an August night, I remember that. A fond memory, to say the least.

In French, they call August "août" which I always thought was sorta cool, if a bit difficult to pronounce.

...but that's about all I have to say that's positive about August. It's hot and muggy (even in Seattle, go figure) and the days get significantly shorter reminding you both of the impending winter (Winter is Coming) and of your own impending demise (I'm a cheerful one aren't I?).

But no August in my lifetime has been worse than August 2012. That month ripped my little Pirate heart out. 2011 was a pipe dream that faded away early, and we all had a feeling it was coming. But August 2012 hurt. Bad. We thought it might come, but we didn't think it would happen so suddenly.

And we didn't even finish over 0.500. It really was one of the most spectacular collapses in baseball history, especially if you consider the team and the context.

And then August 2013 happened. I was bracing for it. You saw my post at the end of the 5-game Cards series.

These Pirates, they didn't fold. They bent, but they did not break. And I give them all the credit in the world for that.

Obviously, the fight isn't over. We still haven't even glimpsed the insanity that is to come (I don't think so, anyway).

But I'm proud of this team for hanging in there through the "Dog Days." Possibly prouder than I ought to be.

The Pirates went 14-14 in August.

And what did that mean? Well, meaningful September baseball arrived in Pittsburgh on the 1st.

No comments:

Post a Comment